Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Frugal tip


I'm always looking for ways to save money and make planning dinner less stressful. I started doing this years ago and it is one of the things that saves my life. I buy ground beef in bulk on sale, then fry it up...adding salt, onion powder, garlic salt, etc. Drain the fat and let it cool. Then I divide it into quart size freezer bags and put them in the freezer! I usually put just under a pound...amybe 3/4 of a pound per bag. Lately, I've been adding beans (black, kidney, red) to the meat to make it go a little further. Plus I want my kids used to eating beans...should we ever need to break into our 50 pound pails of beans food storage. Adding the beans is a cheap and healthy way to make sure thereis enough protien in their diet! Then 5 o'clock hits and the dreaded question "what's for dinner?" is asked, I can grab one of these bags and its that much closer to being done.

5 comments:

W said...

I definitely need to start doing that! It'll probably have to wait until a have a decent freezer. Anyways, thanks for the tip. Adding beans is a great tip too.

Suzanne said...

What a good tip! before we had Lincoln we just wouldn't buy the meat until we needed it, stupid idea. But now that we are trying to save money, and my time, I will try this.thanks!

Jamie said...

that is a great idea! i've done the frying it up and freezing it part but not the beans. thanks for the tip!

critts said...

The beans idea is fantastic! But I have a few questions:
1. Do you add canned beans or do you actually cook dry beans?
2. How do you defrost it quickly?

kylee said...

I hadn't thought of putting beans in it! Great idea!